Saturday, April 08, 2006

Last Words

The past few weeks have been a blur. My second daughter was born on February 24th. The same day my father died. Two weeks later to the day a friend and co-worker died. So what’s been going through my mind… last words. The last thing my father said to me was “I know you”. We had just gotten him settled into his bed. There were lots of people gathered around who he didn’t recognize. He recognized me though. He was so tired after that he went to sleep. I never got to talk to him again. The last words from my friend Chad were left on my cell phone. He was in the hospital. He thanked me for praying for him. He said it meant a lot. He also congratulated me on the birth of my daughter and consoled me on the death of my dad. Five days later he was perfected.

I might lose hope if it were not for these words from Jesus’ during his last “major” miracle, raising Lazarus from the dead. In John 11:25-26, Jesus said …, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. …" It is Jesus’ last word on death that gives me comfort.

I know someday I will get to talk to my Dad and Chad again. So it’s not really last words. It’s just a pause in the conversation.

1 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read your comment on Chad's web page. Chad is my son and I appreciate that you are still remembering him. Mothers always feel that their children are the "best" but it was definitely true of Chad. His dad and I still cannot believe that he left us so soon and we miss him very much.

We just returned from a vacation with Renee and the boys and all of our family in a beach house in Myrtle Beach, SC, and that was a wonderful time, although bitter-sweet without Chad there.

Thanks for being his friend and remembering him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home